Thank you for chairing a session at the 2018 ACIPC Conference
Whilst we don’t anticipate any changes please check the final program again prior to your session.
Below are some tips to assist you with the chairing process. Most importantly, please ensure you start and finish all presentations on time and keep to the order in the program.
Before the Session
- All abstracts, speaker names, positions, and affiliations will be available on the conference website & app one month prior to the conference.
- Biographies of invited speakers will also be available on the conference website prior to the conference.
- A printed copy of presenter names, affiliations and presentation title will be provided in each room for the session chair. Please use this information to introduce the speakers.
- Check the timing of each presentation for the session you are Chairing in the program, different sessions have different time allocations.
- Please go to your session room 10 minutes prior to the start time to meet the presenters, to familiarise yourself with the room and to introduce yourself to the A/V technician. There will be an A/V technician stationed in the room throughout the course of your session to assist with any technical issues should they arise.
- Advise the speakers to keep to time and explain you will ask them to end their presentation if they run over time.
- Advise the presenters that you will be signaling the time and ringing the bell when they have to stop.
- There will be a space reserved for the session chair in the front row of each room with a bell for signaling the end of each presentation.
- Presenter’s will load their presentations in the Speaker’s Prep Room prior to the session. If they have not done so, please direct them to the in-room technician.
- Presenters will be asked to sit in the front row of the theatre so they can move to the lectern quickly at the end of the previous presentation.
- You will be advised of any housekeeping items or program updates by the registration staff or committee. Please announce these at the beginning of the session.
- There will be a Q & A microphone on a stand in the aisle with a nominated microphone runner in each room.
During the Session
- To commence:
- Introduce yourself. Inform people of your position/where you work and any involvement you may have with the conference or College.
- Make any announcements or updates, if requested by the conference team e.g. social media, social event reminders etc.
- Introducing the session or session title
- Add any other commentary you feel appropriate to open the session/topic.
- Ask that all electronic devices are turned to silent
- Please use your phone to keep to time (your phone is more accurate than having individual clocks).
- An electronic timer will be positioned at the lectern for all presenters. Please ensure the presenter sets this timer at the commencement of their presentation so they may keep track of their presentation time.
- Advise the speaker you will ring the bell once their time is up.
- Please use a microphone to introduce the presenters and at the end of the presentation for questions.
- Introduce each presentation with the title, the presenter names and affiliations.
- If a presentation is withdrawn, a presenter does not arrive, or a presentation finishes early do not bring the next presentation forward, use the time for questions or explain to the audience that you will commence the next presentation as per the timing on the program. Delegates will be planning to come to presentations based on the published session times. Please continue to communicate the situation to delegates as required / regularly.
- Ensure each session starts and finishes on time.
- If time allows, at the end of each presentation, asks the audience for any questions and be prepared to ask a question if no questions are forthcoming. Ensure a microphone is used wherever possible, if it is not used/difficult to hear, please restate the questions yourself using a microphone – to ensure all delegates can hear the question.
- If possible, check any questions or comments posted on the conference App or social media (#ACIPC18) You may want to use them in questions or as a discussion point.
- Do not ask any questions if the presenter has used all their allocated time. You can use any remaining time for questions and discussion.
- Encourage Delegates to rate the session on the conference app – Instructions on how to do so can be found in the pocket program.
- At the conclusion of the session, thank the presenters and present them with their gift (these will be located at the space reserved for the session chair in the front row of the room).
- If you have any queries, please direct these to the registration desk during the conference, or email firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the conference.
Important: If you Chairing a peer reviewed sessions (Free paper)
This only applies if you are Chairing a peer reviewed (free paper) session. For peer reviewed concurrent sessions (free papers):
- Speakers are allocated 15 minutes, plus 3 minutes for questions i.e. 18 minutes in total, including questions.
- 18 minutes are allocated for each presentation, allowing 2 minutes for delegates to leave and enter the room at the end of each presentation.
- Please start each presentation at the allocated time on the program.
- Do not start early.
- If you are Chairing a peer reviewed session, please explain this process to speakers and delegates at the start of the session so people understand the etiquette. Please continue to communicate with delegates as required.
- Note, peer reviewed paper presenters do not receive a gift.